Rp Junkies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rp Junkies

Come one and all and fill your needs, addictions, and pleasure. We have what you would need rp wise. If we dont have it we can make it!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Game Lingo from around the Table

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Horizonblue

Horizonblue

Game Lingo from around the Table Empty
PostSubject: Game Lingo from around the Table   Game Lingo from around the Table Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 7:03 pm

Every gaming group, eventually, acquires its own set of words and phrases, often an amalgamation of funny situations and sideways thinking. Thus, I think we should share our better brain droppings and swap some words!

I'll start.

Egg Salad: (exclamation) when a npc fails spectacularly, giving the players a great gain at no risk.
"Oh... Egg salad..." (said by myself after a bad roll.)
Source was when an NPC assassin crit failed a climb check above the players, who were attending a banquet. The villian, fell, about a hundred feet, landing on the dinner table with a solid "THWAP!". For comedic affect, I said he had landed face first in the egg salad. Afterwards, many similar failures from similarly inept were reminisant, so the name stuck.
Back to top Go down
Horizonblue

Horizonblue

PostSubject: Re: Game Lingo from around the Table   Game Lingo from around the Table Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 7:17 pm

Up a Tree: (derogatory) When a rather useless PC is sidelined by the players absence, to the nil detriment or the improvement of the party.
"Jim and Roger are holding off the horde, Bill is checking the records and.... Steve's up a tree."
The term came from a player who slowly withdrew from the game, who had little affect upon the game to begin with. When ever he did do something, he often climbed up trees and missed things with his sniper rifle. After he left, we wondered what to do with him. I joked that, whenever his character came up, he would climb up something and fire at something. Since then, the term has stuck.
Back to top Go down
Moddex

Moddex

PostSubject: Re: Game Lingo from around the Table   Game Lingo from around the Table Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 8:30 pm

Turncoat Trigger: When a gun type weapon has repeatedly critical failed more than 3 times in succession, causing incredible and permanent damage to the player or nearby allied players.
Term coined during a game of BESM when my player crit failed three times in a row with a winchester rifle while fighting three zombies inside a pawnshop. First shot backfired and burned the character's hands, causing minor wounds, second shot failure injured the left arm, making it work to only half its capability. Third failure blew the gun up in the character's hands, destroying the firing arm and face from shrapnel and flash fire. Character gained a major phobia of Winchester rifles. Character became incapacitated. Another player's character suffered minor burn and shrapnel wounds from the exploding rifle.

Self: "Damn... My face is fucked up and my arm's GONE. Goddamn turncoat trigger..."
Friend: *Busts out laughing to the point of tears* "That gun FUCKED you up!" *Continues laughing hysterically*
Back to top Go down
http://arkives.forumotion.net/
Horizonblue

Horizonblue

PostSubject: Re: Game Lingo from around the Table   Game Lingo from around the Table Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 8:51 pm

To Pull a Carl: (derogatory) to bungle into a situation with good intention and bad logic, often making the situation worse.

*Orphanage on fire* "I was trying to save them..."

Named after myself, this deals with my headlong attempts at do-gooding with spectacular results. I generally survive, though not necessarily intact, and often achieve the goals... just in a imperfect way.
Back to top Go down
Horizonblue

Horizonblue

PostSubject: Re: Game Lingo from around the Table   Game Lingo from around the Table Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 5:04 pm

Damn it (insert name here)! (Exclamation!!!) Every group has the 'crazy bastard' who responds to any situation with lateral thinking. This is the player who rides the dragon, hits on the minotaur, and gives the monarch pies. The consistancy of their issues creates an almost sing-song response from the rest of the party.

For example, upon seeing a dwarf in trouble, I would run up to it and try to help it up. I then promptly roll a one, dropping the rubble trapping said dwarf on my own foot, which promptly breaks. All about the room was a series of groans and "damn it, Carl! Damn it!"
This is worth more points if the party is so onomotapia or flabbergahstedly stupid as to cause the sentence to run into one word. My 40k game has the sound of 'godamitmat' as an example. Especially when he wraps cars around trees.
Back to top Go down
Horizonblue

Horizonblue

PostSubject: Re: Game Lingo from around the Table   Game Lingo from around the Table Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 11:01 pm

Corascant (unit of measure): to fall a ridiculously long way down, as one Mace Windu did. Any height which the only response is down.

"How far down the hole does my character fall?"
"He falls Corascant."
"Oh."
Back to top Go down
zincks
Admin
zincks

PostSubject: Re: Game Lingo from around the Table   Game Lingo from around the Table Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 11:27 am

i dont have many but with some older gaming buddies you never wanted to hear, "What's that" from any one that was the magic user or in some causes magic users, divine arcane or what not you never wanted that to come out of their mouth.
It generally involved doom and pain and just about nearly always TPK or a death very shortly afterward no matter who was the GM. Not always to the players

• When I Gmed it was well a Dragon that they managed to make explode near a shop of flammables
  • Tim it was generally a trap that the magic users knowdiced then poked out of curiosity or greed.... just line the trap with gold and the party was bound to die by greed
  • Tim again awas GM and gave Camerans's sorcer a tattoo of evil and i was the paladin that knowdiced the tattoo and read abyssal. well it was in the river bathing when i saw it and tried to strangle the magic user as i was shot up by magic. Many of the spells went haywire and hit the other party members.
  • Cameran was GM and just dropped us into a sewer... the magic user saw something in the water where i failed and said, " hey whats that?" next thing i know my character is dead cause the sewer croc that caught me with its other sewer croc buddy crit 4 times on me in a running crit rule and i was dead. Mind you we were all level one and i was the bloody rouge and should of seen this coming. the largest piece of me they could find was my hand which they later brought me back after losing all my magical items that i pillaged from corpses and the tavern.
  • Ben was Gm and well lets just leave it at flesh to stone and then every thing went bad after that with home made spells

I know this has only happened once but "Go greatsword." Its when you catch a NPC off guard with throwing your great sword or cleaving them in half with it. Condition is you have to be a fighter and standing in front of them.

I realized through many many gaming groups if someone says " Let's save the orphanage." The good player would get the kids out of there before the rest of the group gets there because it always ends up on fire, destroyed, or/and broken into all in the name off good and good intentions. And it always has something to do with cultist

• most recent example was when i was a half iron golom....i only broke down the doors with my fist of doom the half dragon and the halfling's dragon mount set the building on fire. The good player i belife got held up by cultest in the kitchen
  • A group i only played once or twice with the chronic stupidity of the wizard knew no bounds. I was playing a rouge pawning off what i stole for the betterment of the group... "Ie me and my sister" discounting the fighter and wizard...well the wizard heard the orphage was in trouble, rumor wise. The rest of the group wasn't paying attention cause my idea of stopping the evil cultist was going to be catch on and inflict methods of evil on them. My idea helpful?... no but not on the stupid side of "i cast fire ball into the crowd of cultist"
    The rest of the group scatter at this because logic went with survival of "Fuck there are kids in there and the guards post is right there. Full of about 10 guards...and level 2 is not a guard fighting level." well maybe not every one thought that but it was along those lines since someone that was about to join started to laugh his head off making horrable jokes about fire.
  • uhh well any thing to do with me, ben, tim, george, and cameran......generally was a elaborate plan to destroy the hell spawn of the cultist with a complex manner and be out of there before the plan went off. then again we weren't always good for those.

And for those who have seen any flash animation of 'i attack the darkness' i have been in one of those instances. You never want to hear a wizard say "I attack the darkness with a magic missile." Lets just leave it with the rogue and bard were left after the fighter got stuck in a tree to take out something 5 times our own level. Our Gm was crying in laughter seeing this was the first 5 minutes into her game
Back to top Go down
http://rpjunkies.roflforum.net
Horizonblue

Horizonblue

PostSubject: Re: Game Lingo from around the Table   Game Lingo from around the Table Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 9:55 pm

The following posts are about the supposed promiscuity of certain characters in unusual situations.
Veiwer discretion is advised.

Sex (verb) To solve a problem through seduction. "I sex my way up the building."
Introduced by a player finding and seducing a noble. Led the group to an important clue, but the shock is still being overcome by the party.

Whore-Down (noun) A competition between players to do increasingly depraved forms of hedonistic action. Often leaves half the party taking a shame shower. The other half are either a) laughing b) put-gun-in-mouth bored c) pregnant or d) getting out the shame-paddles.
"The game went ok, until we got to the elven wedding. The Bard and the Sorceress had a real whore-down. Now their king wants us back in town. Permanently! Damn princesses..."

Skiddy (adjective) A skiddish, quiet character. Often the target of teasing until they snap.
"The hell? The taverns on fire!"
"Wizard did it."
"What? He's just a skiddy."
"Til' the GM had an amazon try to climb him. He flipped."
"Ohhh..."
Be warned, skiddy characters are often funny until they get mad. Usually, that sweet exterior holds some sour filling.

"Dragged off!" (exclamation) A character whose sole purpose is to get or receive sex from other party members. Often throwing the game at odd moments, no time is to awkward for these PCs to ruin. Sieges. Trap searching. Royal balls. Even camping seems to take on an odd tone.
"Where's the rogue?"
"Dragged off, I think. She grabbed the fighter last I saw."
The danger of mixing a dragged off character with a Skiddy is often traumatic. The wrong action will turn to a fight, leading to armed camps in the party. If most of the party is skiddies, the Dragger will get jumped. If the party is mostly draggers, the skiddy will bolt.
Back to top Go down
Horizonblue

Horizonblue

PostSubject: Re: Game Lingo from around the Table   Game Lingo from around the Table Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 9:25 pm

Queso (Noun) an object used to imply the presence of a player. Sometimes attributed the habits of the player.
Came from a game in which a missing player was, literally, replaced by a container of cheese dip. The party rolled the dice against the glass, which affected the players luck quite accurately (two fumbles and a crit success).
Example:
"Ah man, John gone."
"Hey! We need a Queso!"
Back to top Go down
Horizonblue

Horizonblue

PostSubject: Re: Game Lingo from around the Table   Game Lingo from around the Table Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 10:47 pm

Towered (Verb) A player who has resorted to stacking dice to pass time. A pun on 'Tired.'
Not often a good sign.
"Jim... Jim!"
"Ah, don't bother, he's towered.
"Why?"
"Midterms. Also, he rolled crap on his initiative..."

Bubbly (Adjective) Something corrupted or wrong. Relates to 'queso' as the players where looking for a new stand in for the queso (it was eaten). Upon picking out a jar of cheese dip, they asked the player of linguistic origin what he thought of that cheese. He called it wrong, because it was bubbly.
"The priest is acting off..."
"Think he's bubbly?"
"GM, I roll to attack the priest..."

Cubebin' (Pronounced like Cuban) (Noun) A player using a generally rediculous class/species makeup. Started when I suggested an intelligent gelatinous cube with an afro. Obvious pun.
"What? A Gnomish wrestler werebear?"
"Oh man he is so Cubbin' this character."

Ship Hurt (Adjective) Damage for being in a rocking vessel.

Given a baby (Phrase) To give the players a mixed treasure, something that they clearly value, yet despise. turned out, in one of my games, the meanest thing I could do was give the group a baby with noble documentation. Caring for the baby would be time consuming, yet bring great reward.
The response was like this:
(silence)
"Oh we burnin' it!"
"We can't burn a baby!"
"We can! Man up this thing is evil."
"It isn't evil."
"A warp entity (40k for BAD) gave it to us."
"But it just a fricken baby!"
"Well, we get money for caring for it... A lot of money."
(Silence)
"Oh we burnin' it..."
"No!"
Also, to be given a baby is a convenient out for a character. They can join the next campaign, as game time is always elastic, but the character for now has a responsibility elsewhere.

Burn-a-Baby (Noun) A bad situation of contention within a party. See story above.

(By the way, the baby is safe. They eventually elected to keep the baby, but seperated the party to prevent some of the players from raging. Overall, to me as the GM, good end to the campaign Razz .)
Back to top Go down
Horizonblue

Horizonblue

PostSubject: Re: Game Lingo from around the Table   Game Lingo from around the Table Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 1:20 am

Sushi Fish (exclamation) Whenever a character is purterbed, he starts muttering this over and over. Soon, the entire party is chanting this. It usually brings them out of whatever situation it stems from, so it could be another good luck charm.

Shilleali (Exclamation) Whenever the shilleali spell was used in the party, the entire must (under pains of potato chip bombardment) strike a manly pose and shout "Shilleali!"
Back to top Go down
Horizonblue

Horizonblue

PostSubject: Re: Game Lingo from around the Table   Game Lingo from around the Table Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 10:25 pm

Necromany: to bring back dead threads Razz

Back!
We have many more words.

Polish: to finish a side-quest, often romantic.
"Did you polish off that thing with the barmaid?"

Matching Order: A play on the word, 'marching order', or the arrangement of the party, this is when the entire party happens to appear en masse in the same place. Examples:
Treasure = everyone at the front. Wise thiefs are actually behind the party.
Monster = everyone at the rear, behind the fighters. If attacked from the rear, the wizards may actually pass through the fighters to get away
Traps = rogues and npcs are hurled forward at frightening speeds
Taverns = everyone is 'alone' with the same serving wench at the same time, often in different rooms
Brothels = nobody splits up, for fear of being cheated. The party forms a ring of angry customers who inevitably break something and are removed
Negotiations = those players who are considered 'people persons' are pushed to the front regardless of what their character is able to do. The rest of the party appears in a tight ring around the people they are talking to, even on top of them, in ambush positions.
Puzzles = everyone is in another room, and only the slowest character is still inside with the puzzle. If the reward is treasure, characters may actually sprout from the under small objects to collect their share for being encouraging
Wounded = the healer is always on top of those hey want to save, while the rest of the party is too far ahead to help ward off attackers. If someone is within reach to help the healer, it will always be someone with no health or no skill in fighting.
Back to top Go down
Horizonblue

Horizonblue

PostSubject: Re: Game Lingo from around the Table   Game Lingo from around the Table Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 10:38 pm

Special Friend: A person who is like a traveling, handy executioner for someone once they inevitably mess up. Employed because the players want to break laws, while the gm wants to keep moving the game. Often a palidan, and sometimes a pc.

'Special' Forces: When the players are being used to solve a problem because they are cheap or gullible, not because of any skill. Often done with a combination of carrot and stick, this often results in the party just being adjacent to what really solves problems.

'Babysitter': a gm who moves the plot around his immobile players.

'Conductor': a gm who moves his players about his immobile plot.

'sockpuppet': a beloved, but abused, npc

'Savegoat': one who's bad luck is used as a part of the plot. If the GM, the party will force as many rolls as possible. If a player, they are given tasks that are either supportive of the party or don't require any rolling.

'Shiftstorm': when the party begins to move the blame of a failure around at a rapid rate, often dispersing the trouble to the point that either its too small to affect everybody, or no one is left innocent.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Game Lingo from around the Table   Game Lingo from around the Table Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Game Lingo from around the Table
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Rp Junkies :: General :: Spam-
Jump to: